You're Enrolled. So What Happens Next?
We're thrilled you've decided to join the ViaCord family. There are 3 simple things you can do to ensure the banking process goes smoothly:
Step 1: Register for MyAccount.
If you haven’t done so already, register and activate your account.
Step 2: Complete your enrollment forms.
Should you ever need to access your baby's stem cells, the information provided on the enrollment forms will be required by your physician before any stem cell treatment can begin. Having complete records will help to make the collection release process timely and efficient. It is required by ViaCord, the AABB and the FDA to have completed forms - and is important to complete your enrollment forms before your baby arrives.
Your enrollment forms — which include your service agreement and health history questionnaire — will take approximately 10 minutes to complete and they're easily accessible;
- You can complete your forms electronically in your account.
- Download your enrollment forms; available in English, Spanish, Russian, or Chinese.
- Locate the printed forms provided in your Welcome Package.
- Locate the printed forms provided in your Collection Kit.
If you choose to complete printed forms, the simplest way to return your completed enrollment forms is to e-mail them to FORMS@viacord.com.
You can also fax them toll-free to 1-866-565-2243 or mail them to:
ViaCord Clinical Affairs
2375 Progress Drive
Hebron, KY 41048
Step 3: Inform your healthcare provider.
Once you've enrolled with us, we will send a letter to your healthcare provider to inform them that you will be storing your baby's cord blood with ViaCord. We also recommend you speak with your doctor or midwife to make sure they're aware you're banking with ViaCord and know the service you've elected; cord blood, cord tissue, or both. Everything they need to perform the collection, including instructions, is provided in your ViaCord collection kit. The process is simple and can be performed by any doctor or midwife.
Preparing for the big day.
There are a few things you can do to prepare for the collection process in advance of the big day.
• Once you've received your collection kit place it with your prepacked hospital luggage and store it in a cool, dry place.
• Save the customer service number in your phone and plan to contact us after delivery: 800-998-4226
• Get familiar with what takes place on the big day and designate a Birth Coach to help you. See our Birth Coach Checklist below.
Your Birth Coach Checklist!
You've got a lot to remember on the big day. With all the breathing, pushing and sheer amazement, it’s easy to forget about the cord blood collection. To help you out, we've put together a quick checklist below.
Want a copy of the Birth Coach Checklist that you can pack in your hospital bag? Click here to open and print your copy
BEFORE THE BIG DAY
Keep the Collection Kit in a cool dry place, next to mom's bag.
Discuss with Mom what will be collected; cord blood, cord tissue, or both.
Save the customer service number in your phone: 800-998-4226
Wear the ViaCord Newborn Stem Cell Awareness Bracelet as a reminder that the baby’s newborn stem cells will be collected.
- Notify the Labor and Delivery staff that Mom is banking her newborn’s stem cells with ViaCord
- Hand the staff your Collection Kit
- Tell them what will need to be collected: the cord blood, cord tissue, or both
- If the Labor and Delivery staff changes, also inform the new staff of your plans to collect
SOON AFTER DELIVER
- Do not seal the kit
- Call ViaCord at 800-998-4226 to notify us that the baby’s stem cells have been collected
- Take 5-10 minutes to carefully review the contents of the kit with Mom and the ViaCord Customer Support representative to ensure the kit is properly labeled for safe arrival at our lab
- Keep the kit close to Mom until the courier arrives